The Citizen Science Association, with support from SciStarter, is pleased to promote – and inspire sites to host – events in celebration of Citizen Science Day. Citizen Science Day is an annual event to celebrate and promote all things citizen science: amazing discoveries, incredible volunteers, hardworking practitioners, inspiring projects, and anything else citizen science-related!
Citizen Science Day event ideas and resources:
There are endless possibilities for doing something that celebrates and promotes citizen science on Citizen Science Day! From showing videos about citizen science to holding a discussion group about a recent citizen science journal article to hosting a data-gathering event for a citizen science project, see the list below for ideas, resources, and examples you can use to do something fun and educational for Citizen Science Day!
In-person events | Online events
- Hold a talk/presentation about citizen science
- Engage people in a data collection event (bioblitz, water monitoring, birding, etc.)
- Organize a meeting or professional development workshop
- Construct or install citizen science materials
- Host a citizen science book or journal article discussion
- Host a viewing party of some great citizen science-related videos
- Hold a recognition event for your stellar citizen science volunteers
- Host a citizen science webinar
- Host an online chat or Q&A about a specific project or citizen science in general on a social media platform, like:
- Zooniverse or other talk boards
- Hold an online project event (classification-a-thon, special options or components for the day, competition or tournament)
- Update Wikipedia pages via an edit-a-thon
- Host a citizen science book or journal article discussion online: see the list in the in-person events and combine it with an online chat!